Case-02 : Health Economic Outcome Research (HEOR)
Case Sample (Health Economics Outcome Research)
Retrospective Analysis of Medical Costs and Resource Utilization for Severe Hypoglycemic Events in Atients with Type 2 Diabetes in Japan
Ikeda, Y., Kubo, T., Oda, E., Abe, M., & Tokita, S. (2019). Retrospective analysis of medical costs and resource utilization for severe hypoglycemic events in patients with type 2 diabetes in Japan. Journal of diabetes investigation, 10(3), 857–865. https://doi.org/10.1111/jdi.12959
- Within treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) patients onset with hypoglycemia are seen and severe hypoglycemia events (SHE) requires hospital treatment.
- Economic burden analysis has been conducted in Japan providing information on medical cost per SHE and overall medical cost for SHE but actual medical resource utilization after SHE is not confirmed.
- This analysis is a follow-up analysis based on the prior retrospective study confirming the incidence rate and factors associates with severe hypoglycemia in patients with T2DM patients.
Objective of Study
To underline the actual medical costs and hospitals stay or visits due to SHEs in Japan
Study Design and Criteria
Study Design: Retrospective Observational Study
Target Period: April 2008 – September 2014
Definition of Severe Hypoglycemic Episodes
Severe Hypoglycemic Episode broken down into the following categories.
Patient Characteristics of the Study Population
Flow Chart Showing Patient Composition for Cost Analysis
Medical Costs Per Severe Hypoglycemic Event
Composition of the Medical Costs
- Direct costs of SHEs were high in Japan
- Most medical resources were required for the following.
- T2DM patients are prone to hypoglycemia as the patient ages
- To implement more ersonal management under guidelines in order to reduce hypoglycemia
⇒Ultimately decreases the economic burden of diabetic patients